Friday, January 10, 2014

Rob Dyrdek


most people tell me that they could never have stories like mine. that my life is so fantastical filled with crazy, zany people and adventures. i'd like to remind them that we live in the same world...and that my stories mostly surround 4 staple elements: binge eating, boys, jobs(or joblessness) or embarrassment. the thing is, i tell the stories because i'm not embarrassed...and you shouldn't be either.

i love to tell these weird stories, but the truth is the best thing i ever did for myself was tell the story of who i am. not every knows it, nor will everyone...some people will just get bits and pieces. others, will get the version where my eyes well up and voice cracks a bit. as a life long  clown, telling a story that was anything but embarrassing was the most embarrassing thing i could do. no jokes or weird people to elaborate. just my little life and the lessons i've learned.

i think sometimes we get so wrapped up in creating an unbelievable life story, that we miss the things that make it just so. this has always been my problem. relentlessly wondering if things could be better, if something could make me happier, if i could make my life more exciting by doing it differently. trying desperately to create this cool story that people will think is unique or interesting. relentless wondering is ok for men who live alone in the woods, but not for anyone else.

over and over in my life the lesson has been the same. it is not so much what i am doing, but who i am when i am doing it. when i am content to be in the moment,content in who i am: that is when the little life moments come. that's when i can see the funny and strange and ridiculousness that is ever-present--if you don't believe me, turn to MTV2...ridiculousness is always on!





No comments:

Post a Comment